9.12.2012

Scarf and Bow Headband



Here are the tutorials for the headband and scarf I made last weekend. My big crochet project at the moment is a granny square blanket, and I wanted to take a break from that to make something quick. These projects only take a few hours and are super easy.

I really love these kinds of headbands in the winter. They keep my ears warm, stop my bangs from going all over the place in the wind, and don't give me hat hair. Also, bows. I like bows a lot. I've made these with crochet flowers as well, which are also adorable.

You'll need one to two skeins of bulky weight yarn to complete these projects, depending on how long/wide you make the headband. I used almost exactly one skein.  You can use a large embroidery needle or your crochet hook to sew the project together.

*Note- the yarn I used was bulky weight, but it wasn't really all that bulky. If you are using a yarn that's really bulky, you may need to adjust the number of stitches.


Stitches used:
Chain stitch
Single crochet

Scarf
Chain 76. Double crochet in third chain from hook, and every chain after (74 double crochets). When you reach the end of the row, chain two and turn. *Double crochet in each double crochet from the previous row (74 double crochets). Chain two and turn.* Repeat from * to * twice more (four rows of double crochet). Double crochet in first 54 stitches, chain 8. Skip 8 stitches from previous row and pick up double crochet on the 62nd stitch in previous row. Chain two and turn. Repeat from * to * four times. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Headband
Band
Chain a row long enough to fit around your head, plus one. Turn and single crochet in each chain. Repeat until headband is as wide as you want it (I think I did eight rows). Fasten off, leaving a long tail (about six inches). Use tail to sew the two ends of the band together.
Bow
Chain 9 and single crochet in each chain (8 single crochet). Chain one and turn. Continue until you have twelve rows (you can make this bigger or smaller, depending on how large you want the bow). Fasten off.
For the band on the bow, chain 11 and single crochet into each chain (10 single crochet). Continue until you have three rows. Fasten off.
Assembly
Place the bow band in the center of the bow and wrap around semi-tightly. Using yarn, sew the bow band in place. Adjust the bow until it is to your liking. Place the bow on the headband and sew in place. I like to put mine off to the side a bit.

That's it! If anything isn't clear or if you have any questions, let me know.

Here, have a creepy picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment