9.10.2012

Spiced Chickpeas and Rice


This meal is one of my favorites, and is my go-to meal if I am tired or don't know what to make. It's so easy and does not take much prep time at all. It's also delicious. I found the original recipe on Budget Bytes but I made some adjustments to it. Here's my version. (Note: the measurements for the spices are just estimates. I usually just throw things in, taste, and adjust. Also, if you do not have all of these spices, you don't have to buy them, as the original recipe calls only for curry.)

Ingredients
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion or half a large onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 28-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
  • 2 15-ounce cans of chickpeas, drained
  • 2 tbsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/8 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp butter



Heat oil in a medium sized sauce pan over medium heat. Chop onions and garlic and cook a few minutes, until onions are translucent. Add tomatoes, drained chickpeas, and spices. Stir and allow to simmer over medium-low heat until the sauce has thickened, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter and add salt to taste. 



Serve over yellow jasmine rice. I generally half the rice recipe and skip the garlic and bay leaf, but other than that, I follow her recipe as is. It may be the most delicious rice I've ever eaten.



Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment