7.09.2014

recipe: cucumber salad




Cucumber salad is one of my favorite summer salads. It's so light and refreshing, and it is really simple to make.

ingredients:

  • 5 cucumbers *
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt 
  • 1/2 tbsp rice vinegar
  • juice from half a lemon
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 2 tbsp fresh chopped dill
* I used cucumbers from my garden, which are smaller than ones you can get at the store. You may only need two or three of them if you are buying.



Peel cucumbers and quarter them lengthwise. If your cucumbers have a lot of seeds, you may want to remove them (I usually don't). Slice the quarters about a half inch thick. Put sliced cucumbers into a colander and sprinkle salt evenly over them. Leave in sink for 20-30 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine sour cream, yogurt, vinegar, lemon juice, honey, and dill in a large bowl. Taste and adjust as needed. I prefer a more tart sauce, so I usually add a little more vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste.




After cucumbers have drained, pat dry and combine with sauce. Allow to chill for at least one hour before serving. 

I usually double the amount of sauce I make and keep the extra in the fridge for a few days. I get one or two cucumbers from my garden each day, so I like having the sauce already made for when I get home from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment