6.06.2014

weekend project: striped outdoor pillows




I found this beautiful navy and white striped fabric and decided to make outdoor pillows with it. The color looks really nice with my green chairs too. 

Supplies:
  • outdoor fabric (I bought 1 1/2 yards for two 18" pillows)
  • pillow forms
  • matching thread
  • measuring tape and pins
My pillow forms were 18 inches, so I cut two pieces of fabric 18.5" by 18.5". I wanted the pillow covers to be a little smaller than the forms, so that they were a little fuller. 



Pin your fabric right side together, allowing for a half inch seam allowance (this will make the pillow cover 17.5"). I draw lines where I'm going to sew, because I need the guide to stay straight.


Sew three sides together. On the fourth side, sew about two inches on each end. Iron the seams open.


Turn the cover right side out and put the pillow in.


Next, hand sew the pillow closed using a ladder stitch. There are a lot of video tutorials on how to do this. I must admit, getting the hang of the ladder stitch was very frustrating for me. I took me several tries to get it looking decent. If you've never done it before, you may want to practice on something else first.


No comments:

Post a Comment